The turtle needs to have its own habitat or space, which can be a fishbowl or a terrarium. The habitat must meet the following requirements:
- A pool deep enough so they can swim calmly without bumping into the decoration you may have.
- A dry part that is above the water in which the turtle can dry and sunbathe, as well as rest.
The size of the water turtle terrarium must be enough for the animal to have space to swim, we will have a size of at least 3 or 4 times the length of the turtle itself. The wider the space, the better life condition you will have.
In addition, so that your turtle does not develop any disease due to lack of hygiene you must keep water as clean as possible, emptying and filling the aquarium weekly. You can also choose to buy a backpack or a filter system at your pet store and forget about cleaning the water.
You can add items to your terrarium such as palm trees, castles or plastic plants and create an original and unique environment.
The temperature and sunlight for the water turtle
The environment of the turtle is very important so that it does not get sick, for this we must take into account that:
- The water temperature should be warmbetween some 26ºC and 30ºC, and as we have commented previously in the dry part of the aquarium or terrarium they must reach the sun's rays so that the turtle can dry and keep its bones and shell healthy. It is important that the water temperature does not vary too much with the ambient temperature, since a sharp change is not good for the turtle. Under no circumstances should we hold temperatures below 5 degrees or above 40, nor place them in places where there are drafts.
- They should receive sunlight. If you do not find a good position for the aquarium to give you sunlight, you can choose buy a lamp that simulates the effect and points towards its small island or stretch of dry land in the aquarium.
Water turtle feeding
You can find in any pet store turtle foodconventional, enough for your diet. You can also vary your diet by incorporating other foods such as raw and low-fat fish, vegetables, crickets, larvae and even small insects.
If you want to feed any of these foods, ask a specialist first to advise you. If you see that it accepts raw fish but does not adapt to the food you can find in stores, mix both and make them get used to it.
You will feed the water turtles depending on their age: if they have a small size you will feed them only once a day and if they are large, you will do it three times a week, always following the instructions on the product package. Remember, you must remove all food left over from the terrarium to prevent it from getting too dirty.
Common diseases of water turtles
A large part of water turtle diseases are due to ignorance of their basic needs, such as the contribution of sunlight in the environment or inadequate diets.
In case you have a nurse and have others in the aquarium, you should separate the patient from the rest of the companions, at least for a month or until you see that it is cured.
- In case the turtle has some skin lesion Go to the vet to recommend a cream to cure it. Normally they will be creams with water-soluble antibiotics that help healing and do no harm to the turtle. If it's about her>
If you want to read more articles similar to Caring for water turtles, we recommend that you enter our Basic Care section.
The turtle's habitat
You have to prepare two thirds of your turtle's aquarium for swimming and a third for the land and so they can sunbathe either with the natural sun or using a full spectrum ultraviolet light source.
In case you have the turtle living outdoors, make sure there is an environment where the lamp can be installed in the fall and winter, since they are cold dates.
A clean environment
Prevent the environment in which your turtle lives becomes a dirty place, You must clean it as usual. The accumulation of fecal waste and other types of garbage can cause health problems for you and the turtle. Clean the entire tank (including the filtration system) at least once a month.
Always offer your turtle a complete commercial diet prepared specifically for this animal, you can find it in specialized stores. When buying turtle food It is essential that you know well what kind of turtle you have. If in doubt, the best thing you can do is check with the veterinarian.
You can complete your turtle's diet with seaweed, green leafy and fruit vegetation. If you have an aquatic species, it is normal for them to be herbivorous, although this is not always the case.
As for the frequency of feeding, you should provide food for your pet two or three times a week in a small feeder that is separated from its normal tank, since food debris can attract diseases. If the turtle is in an open space, reserve an exclusive place to place the food, also facilitating cleaning.