(Photo via: planetaperros)
Before seeing the differences between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog, we have a question: has it ever happened to you that on the street you thought you saw a French bulldog, but you noticed something strange or different, but you didn't know what? The answer is that you didn't really see a French bulldog, but a Boston terrier.They are two dog breeds very similar at first sight, but they actually keep many differences, both physical and psychological. We will teach you to find the differences between a Boston terrier and an English bulldog.
First of all, do you know what a Boston terrier is? This breed is the result of a cross between a bulldog and a terrier, both English. Athough it does not seems, there are visible differences between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog.
Although there are clear differences, the Boston terrier and the French bulldog also bear similarities, they are very good options as pets, with a similar physical requirement, affable character and adapted to home life. They also share the characteristic snout, which although funny can complicate their lives, The limited extent of this makes it difficult for both dogs to cool down naturally.
If you are simply curious, or if you are looking for a pet and want to know both breeds well, let's see the differences between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog:
Different proportions of the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog
The first difference between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog that we must take into account is their difference in size:
- Boston terrier:
Height: 28 - 38 cm.
Weight: 5 - 12 kg.
- French Bulldog:
Height: 30 - 40 cm.
Weight: 9 - 20 kg
As you can see, The French bulldog is noticeably larger than the Boston Terrier.
Temperament of the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog
(Photo via: mibulldogfrances)
We continue our list of differences between Boston terrier and French bulldog with the personality of these two dogs:
- Boston terrier : it's a very dog fun, active, playful and affectionate who loves being with family and enjoying the people he loves. Is very smart and easy to train. It is suitable for living with children and babies and an excellent watchdog despite its small size.
- French bulldog : this dog is Cheerful and docile, also great for living with children. They are very Affectionate and have a lot of confidence in themselves, but do not hesitate to face any obstacle or threat they encounter.
Food of the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog
This third difference between Boston terrier and French bulldog has not so much to do with its innate characteristics, but with its nutritional needs.
- Boston terrier: you need a balanced and quality food. It can be dry feed or canned food, but Make sure it is high in lean animal protein.
- French bulldog : the main difference in the French bulldog's food against the Boston terrier is that, Although it is nourished by a food similar or equal to Boston, it is convenient to control the quantities especially. The French bulldog has never just satiated, He will eat everything we give him and tends to be overweight. It is advisable to monitor your weight to avoid drifting into more serious problems.
Do the Boston Terrier and French Bulldog have the same quality of health?
(Photo via: pinterest)
Health conditions are also a clear difference between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog.
- Boston terrier: your flat snout tends to make it hard for you to exercise. It also has the narrow pelvis, so that births are somewhat complicated, they are often done by caesarean section. It is common to find in Boston terrier dogs heart and skin tumors. On the other hand, their bulging eyes they are prone to damage and need constant vigilance
- French bulldog: As with the Boston terrier, short snout causes breathing problems, which are aggravated with their small trachea, which causes them to drown easily. The birth of French bulldog can be complicated for the mother, since puppies are born with a fairly large head, in these cases, caesarean sections are also practiced. They are also prone to certain types of cancer and genetic malformations.
As you can see, their physical similarities cause very similar problems in both races.
How much exercise do both races need?
- Boston terrier: needs regular walks and outdoor games in ample but limited and safe spaces. It is best to avoid the hottest hours in summer so as not to complicate your breathing.
- French bulldog : the difference in size between the Boston terrier and the French bulldog has an impact on their physical needs. The French bulldog is more robust, solid and compact, so Resist more physical exercise than the Boston Terrier. But don't overdo it either! Do not force him or he will tire. It is appropriate to make a couple of routes of approximately two km each day, with episodes of games.
What is your favorite breed? The Boston Terrier or the French Bulldog?
Two similar but different races
No doubt both breeds are great, although we, as you know, have pure love for the French bulldog, but the Boston Terrier is adorable. In Spain we still see little but surely it is a race that is here to stay.
We hope you found it interesting, now you can easily differentiate both. Do not forget to comment on this post, and tell us which of the two races you have or which one you like best.
Did you like the content?Value it