This article describes the effects of a wasp sting.
This article is for informational purposes only. DO NOT use it to treat or handle a sting. If you or someone with whom you are found suffered a sting, call the local emergency number (such as 911 in the United States) or you can contact the local toxicology center directly by calling the national toll-free number for help. Poison Help (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
Where is it?
The wasps carry this poison. Some people are allergic to poison and have a severe reaction if they suffer a sting. Most people do not need emergency medical attention if they suffer a sting.
Below are the symptoms of a wasp sting in different parts of the body.
EYES, EARS, NOSE AND THROAT
- Inflammation of the throat, lips and mouth *
YOU ARE “MAGICIAN AND INTESTINES
- Abdominal cramps
- Nausea and vomiting
CORAZГ “N AND BLOOD GLASSES
- Severe decrease in blood pressure
- Fainting *
- Hives *
- Inflammation and pain at the place of the sting
Note: The symptoms marked with an asterisk (*) are due to an allergic reaction to the poison and not to the poison itself.
In case of serious reactions:
Call the local emergency number, such as 911 in the United States, if the person has an allergic reaction (inflammation or severe respiratory distress). You may need to go to the hospital if the reaction is severe.
If you know that it is allergic to the bites of common wasps, bees or yellow wasps (yellow jacket wasps), always carry an emergency kit against the bee sting and learn how to use it. These devices require a prescription. They contain a medicine called epinephrine, which you should take immediately after the bite.
To treat wasp sting:
- Try to extract the stinger (if you still have it). For this, carefully scrape with a knife edge or other thin, straight edge object (such as a credit card) over the area to remove the stinger, if the person can sit still and it is safe to do so. Or you can take out the stinger with tweezers or your fingers. If you do so, avoid compressing the sack of the poison that is at the end of the stinger. If this sack is broken, more poison will be released.
- Thoroughly clean the area with water and soap.
- Apply ice (wrapped in a clean cloth) to the place of the bite for 10 minutes and then remove it and let the area rest for 10 minutes. Repeat the process. If the person has circulatory problems, reduce the time of application of ice to avoid possible damage to the skin.
- If possible, keep the affected area still to prevent the venom from spreading.
- Loosen clothes and take off the rings and any other jewelry that fits.
- Give diphenhydramine (Benadryl and other brands) by mouth if you can swallow. This antihistamine can be all that is needed to treat a mild reaction.
Center for Toxicology
The local toxicology center can be contacted directly by calling the national toll-free number Poison Help (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. Who will give you additional instructions.
It's about a free and confidential service. All local toxicology centers in the United States use this number. You should call if you have any concerns about poisonings or how to prevent them. It does not necessarily have to be an emergency, you can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to expect in the emergency room
If it is necessary to go to the emergency room, the health care provider will measure and monitor the vital signs of the person, including temperature, pulse, respiratory rate and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated. The person can receive:
- Blood and urine tests
- Respiratory support, including oxygen, a tube through the mouth to the throat and a respirator (in severe cases)
- X-ray of chest
- ECG (electrocardiography or cardiac tracing)
- Fluids intravenously (applied in a vein)
- Medications to treat symptoms
The recovery of a person depends on whether it is allergic to the insect bite and how soon it is treated. The sooner you receive medical help, the greater the likelihood of a recovery. The chances of a future reaction throughout the body increase when reactions in an area of the body become increasingly severe.
Symptoms in people who are not allergic to the sting will probably disappear after a week.
DO NOT put your hands or feet in nests, hives or other favorite places to hide. If you live in a place where wasps congregate, avoid wearing brightly colored clothes and perfumes or other fragrances.
How to act if a wasp bites you? We tell you how to treat a wasp sting with home remedies and how to detect allergies to this type of bites.
Wasp sting causes intense pain and burning sensation. These insects only bite if they feel threatened, their bites are not usually serious, except sometimes if the person has an allergic reaction. We tell you what steps to follow if a wasp has bitten you.
How to detect wasp sting allergy
We tell you the normal reaction and the abnormal or allergic reaction so you can differentiate them and act.
It is the one that usually occurs when you are bitten, with pain, swelling and redness in the area of the bite. Sometimes the area near the sting may also become inflamed. If this happens, go to the health center, falls within normal but it's worth seeing the doctor. Indicates that you have a certain sensitivity (not allergy).
Abnormal or allergic reaction
We say abnormal because allergy is a overreaction of the immune system to a stimulus. In this case the wasp sting. The reaction is usually more severe the second time it itches, so you have to be clear about the symptoms. If it itches and you have difficulty breathing, dizziness, tachycardia, low blood pressure, hives where it has stung and in an area near the sting. Difficulty swallowing and you are disturbed, see a doctor as soon as possible. You are probably suffering from an allergic reaction. Allergic reactions must be treated to avoid anaphylactic shock that can be fatal.
Steps to treat a wasp sting
- Try to get the sting out of the skin, you can do this with a cardboard card or a credit card. Press gently with the credit card until the stinger is removed.
- Then we can help with some tweezers. The stinger contains the poison, removing it will help improve the symptoms of the bite.
- Then wash the area with neutral soap.
Home remedies to treat a wasp sting
The wasps carry on the ground from the Jurassic over 200 million years ago, What they will have stung since then! There are many home remedies to treat a wasp sting, as long as you don't have other more severe symptoms like those described above. We tell you several home remedies.
The mud, one of the oldest remedies for wasp sting, very useful if you are outside. The mud helps calm the pain of the sting. But once you are in case or indoors, wash the sting and apply ice, this will lower the inflammation and soothe the pain.
It is the most typical if an insect has bitten you, there are products with roll on applicator for excursions and trips. It is useful to carry them, you can avoid a bad time.
Scrub with onion
Onion has bactericidal properties and is useful for many remedies. Cut some slices and you will apply on the affected area. Let stand a few minutes, you'll see that you get relief.
Another effective home remedy, add some apple cider vinegar in the area with a cotton ball.
Parsley and olive oil
It's not about making a green sauce, but almost. Parsley has many healthy properties and is a source of antioxidants, has vitamin C, vitamin A, essential oils and amino acids. Crush a tablespoon of parsley with a little olive oil and apply it in the area of the bite.
Citric acid neutralize the venom from the bite, rub the affected area with a little lemon.
Have you been useful The steps to treat a wasp sting?