Try to buy as much cage as possible, which allows space for the flight (a canary is a pet that should never have its wings cut off and must be able to fly in the cage for exercise).
The cages that allow "flight" are the best type. It can be a cage built by you or an expert or one bought in the store. It should simply be designed to provide enough space to move. Remember that a wide cage is better than a tall and narrow cage (height is not that important). Try to get a cage at least 60 cm long.
It is very important that you take into account the spacing between bars, it can never be greater than 1 cm. Wire cages are the best options, since wooden or bamboo ones are too difficult to keep clean.
There are wooden bars of different diameter, but the ones that work best for these little birds are those of 1 or 2 cm. Some canary breeders alter round and smooth bars scraped with a saw blade or a knife, enough that the surface is slightly irregular (easier to grab and the variety can make the bars more comfortable for the legs of the canary). Do not use sandpaper to cover the bars.
The canaries are very resistant and can be kept at room temperature. Of course, you should place the cage away from drafts, air conditioners and windows that receive direct sunlight (the cage and canary can overheat).
It is good to cover the cage at night, at the time the sun sets (unless you live in an area with very long nights and days, such as the north end). The canaries need rest and will do better if they are given a light / dark cycle that approximates natural changes. Keeping them up late with artificial light is not healthy for them.
You can provide them with toys, but place them in the cage so that they do not obstruct the flight space. Your canary could enjoy swings, mirrors, bells and hanging wooden or acrylic toys.
Fresh water must be available at all times. Commercial drinking fountains are the best option. You should also place a shallow dish of water or a special bathtub for canaries purchased at the pet store at least 3-4 times a week for the bathroom. They love.
What care should be given to a canary?
To talk about the care you have to give a canary, you have to keep in mind that we can only talk about the canaries we have as pets. Care is important for this bird to live in the best possible conditions.. To do this, here are some tips:
1. Cage dimensions: In order for our bird to live in a cage where it can move, it is necessary that it has certain dimensions. It is recommended that the cage of a canary measure 50 cm long, 30 centimeters wide and 40 centimeters high. These measures are indicated for a single canary.
2. Bird feeding: As the canary spends time in this cage, it must be taken into account that it must be provided with the necessary food, in addition to the liquid it requires to drink. For it, it will be necessary to place a drinking fountain and a feeder sufficiently provided of quantity of food and water.
3. Cage complements: Apart from feeding and hydrating the bird, you will need to have other supplements that help you have a better quality of life. First, the cage needs a bathtub where the canary can take a daily bath. In addition, it is recommended that there be swings so that they can move from one to another.
4. Have the cage clean: It is recommended that you clean the cage of the canary once a day to avoid the droppings of the canary, in addition to the dirt that may occur. On the other hand, the trough and the trough also have to be cleaned regularly.
5. Take care of food: The diet of a canary is mainly composed of birdseed with other seeds and must be filled every day. To make the diet much more complete, small pieces of fruit can be included.
6. Go to the veterinarian: As much as we give our canary the most correct care, it is necessary to go to the doctor whenever we notice any anomaly in it. It is always better to make a visit in vain than to leave your bird at home and may have a health problem.
7. Promote reproduction: When we want our canaries to reproduce, we must create the necessary habitat for this to occur. For it, we must first have a cage with a barrier that separates the male and the female just in case they are rejected. It will be necessary to provide them with food, taking into account the diet of each one, and sufficient liquid.
8. Know your canary: To know if our canary is in the best possible state, we must know what it represents that it is in the best possible state. Therefore, our canary must have smooth and clean plumage, a lively look, clean legs and a lively attitude. On the other hand, you should know what foods you like best to prepare the most successful diet.
9. Take care of the Canary a small number of people: This bird gets used to seeing the same people every day, so when there is the circumstance that another person takes care of their care and feeding, there may be consequences.
10. Cover the cage at night. Like us, they need to be calm in order to sleep and rest at night. Therefore, it will be necessary that you cover the cage with a blanket so that it receives heat and, in addition, there is no light that disturbs it or an insect that can disturb you.
Myth of the canaries
The myth of the conversion of the canaries into domestic animals says that its history does not go back more than 500 years. There was a ship that was shipwrecked on the rocky shores of the Canary Islands and the surviving crew stayed to live on those lands. The myth says that they noticed a native bird that they found because of the song it emitted and made her his pet. They created cages built with twigs entwined with herbaceous stems. When they returned to the peninsula, they took them with them making it start to be a domestic bird in Spain.
The canary is a great singer, play music and learn by imitation
‘The canary when the bird sings first part and you break my soul with the things you tell me. The songs say it and it is written in the poems, the canary is one of the most popular birds in homes. There will be more beautiful and exotic birds but few can match the beautiful and pleasant song of the canary.
Sing canary, sing
Your canary doesn't sing? Be careful, you may have a female instead of a male and these are not great singers, they only emit timid sounds. To differentiate males from females you must look at the size, color and head. The male canaries are somewhat larger and plump, their colors are more vivid and have a flattened head.
And when do you sing? We usually do it when we feel good: in the shower, after dinner with friends, in the car going on a trip… The canaries too. Alone they sing when they are happy. Try not to miss a wide cage, mild temperatures and a girlfriend and will sing until rancheras!
Many caregivers cover the cage with a sheet to simulate the night and put music on them. In this way, they will not sing but they will internalize the notes to sing them later. If you also talk to him with love you will make him feel more at ease because no one is bitter about flattery, right?
‘If the singer is silent, life is silent ...’ And to sing and have a brilliant plumage, in the purest Carbonero style, what is needed? Good food. We are what we eat and in the diet of the canary, the fundamental food is the birdseed. Store them in dry places so they are always kept fresh. To the birdseed, a mixture of seeds such as hemp seeds, oats, rapeseed, linseed and blackish must also be added.
Fruit and vegetables are also indispensable foods. The apple, for example, is very well received and lettuce love it. The carrot is diuretic and spinach is one of the most complete vegetables that exist.
To have strong bones, calcium is the ‘petit-suisse’ of the Canaries. It also serves to place sepia bone in the bars of the cage.
A house full of joy
Although the canary is a small bird, it measures about thirteen centimeters, you need a big cage away from direct sun exposure and air currents. The location is very important especially if we are going to place it outdoors. It must be thoroughly cleaned at least once a week. If you put newspaper on the floor it will be easier to remove the excrement. The canaries are delicate animals, change your water every day and make sure your toys are always clean. At nightfall, as we lower the blinds, place a sheet above. You will prevent an insect from sneaking in and bothering or harming you.
Put another container with water so you can bathe, they love it, even in winter.
‘The canary in the stream, the blackbirds in the bramble, my heart with yours and yours I don't know with which one’. To have a canary is to have a house full of joy and songs. But like all pets they need their special care. They are very animals sociable except in the mating season, so you should not have several males in the same cage. Sometimes, they get their ‘rebel vein’ and refuse to be trained but in general they are very birds peaceful. Put a canary in your life, a bird or a person, and sing to life.
Know more about him Canary
How to care for a canary is a tip for Birds, and talks about Care.
1.- For the canaries the cage
2.- The bars of the cage can be horizontal or vertical, and it is better if they are of a dark color or are galvanized.
3.- The cage should be rectangular. Cylindricals are not suitable.
4.- A deep tray at the bottom will prevent the bed and the food that has fallen from going to the ground.
5.- The hangers made with trunks of different thicknesses provide an additional exercise beneficial for the feet.
6.- Some of the hangers should be resistant and placed at a certain angle.
7.- The canaries enjoy keeping busy with trunks and non-toxic leaves of fruit trees and birch
8.- Several containers for food, bottles for water, stones to sharpen the beak and a tray for bathing are important.
9.- The bottom of the cage should be covered by a layer of clean paper.
10.- Place the cage in a quiet place, free of drafts, elevated and away from direct sunlight.
1.- The "daily bread" of Canary It will consist of a mixture of seeds or a diet in granules or extruded. You should always have fresh food in sufficient quantity.
2.- Pay attention to the quality of the seed mix. Old seeds have lost vitamins.
3.- The canaries they need, daily, vegetables, lettuce, fruit, vegetables or sprouts.
4.- Wash the vegetables and cut the fruits and vegetables into small pieces
5.- Every two or three days, give your Canary some egg or some other soft food and an ear of millet.
6.- Remove any vegetables, fruits, sprouts and eggs after three or four hours. Replace them daily.
7.- Mix the vitamin supplements with soft foods following the instructions.
8.- The canaries They need clean water daily.
9.- The canaries Reddish plumage lose their striking color when they move if they do not get a special food additive (carotenoids) or many fresh vegetables.
10.- The sand, crushed eggshells and sepia bones provide minerals and trace elements to the birds.
1.- The bird bath must always be full of clean water.
2.- Empty the food plate, the water containers and the bird bath daily, wash them with hot water and refill them.
3.- Eliminate withered vegetables and fruit daily, after having spent a few hours. Renew millet ears only when they have been completely consumed.
4.- Let your Canary Fly freely in a safe area of your home for a couple of hours each day.
5.- Look closely at your birds: are they full of life? Are any of them curled up on the floor of the cage for some time and have the feathers bristling?
6.- Eliminate excrement and unconsumed food from hangers, branches, sepia bone and the floor of the cage.
7.- Replace the paper layer once or twice a week. Wash the bottom tray with hot water. Rinse the cage with a hot shower and thoroughly brush the bars of the cage with a disinfectant that is safe for birds.
8.- Clean the area around the cage thoroughly, so that no mites are installed.
9.- Have a veterinarian cut or file the nails and the beak if they have grown excessively.
10.- Pay close attention to your birds.
If you want to know in depth everything you need to take good care of a Canary, we recommend the publication Mi Canario y yo of the Editorial Hispano Europea:
Latest Comments on this article (5)
By animalilla on 10/01/2012 at 09: 07h
This article is very interesting.
By Isabelbel on 08/01/2012 at 00: 42h
that this topic has come to me well, I have been worried about Currito for a long time, it is getting bald on my head, I have given it a vitamin supplement, I clean the cage daily or at most every two days, but it does not improve, every time it is worst.
I'm going to try hard boiled eggs, I never did, but I don't know if that will solve the problem
someone could help me?
By angielosz on 07/25/2012 at 18: 02h
I loved this article, now I know more to take care of my little ones! :)
Look at her on 07/05/2012 at 8:58 p.m.
my question is when canaries are in heat
By belona on 04/22/2012 at 01: 29h
excellent. I put all these tips into practice with my 5 canaries. the truth is good health and lively,)!