Though There are many options in the market for the care and hygiene of pets, you are probably considering making your own homemade dog shampoo. The truth is that it's a good option to consider, since you will have the advantage of knowing exactly what it takes, you can change some ingredient or proportions if you do not like the results, it is cheaper ... And also, it will be natural and easy to do. If you want to do a dog grooming session at home and want to learn how to make homemade dog shampoo yourself ... Don't worry, we'll show you!
How to make homemade dog shampoo
Either because you don't like commercial options or because your dog doesn't feel good and causes canine dermatitis, you can make your own homemade dog shampoo using the following ingredients:
- A liter of water
- Two tablespoons of rosemary
- Half a cup of apple cider vinegar, the purer it is, the better
- Grated Glycerin Neutral Soap
Remember! Never use the shampoo of people on your dog, it could cause serious problems!
How is homemade dog shampoo made?
- Boil the water and add the rosemary. When it boils, turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Then strain and reserve the water.
- Add grated soap to the still hot water. Add it little by little without stopping it to dissolve, keep adding more until you get the consistency you want. If you go thick, add more hot water to dilute as much as you want.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar and stir well until everything is integrated.
- It's ready! Now you just need to put the product in a jar or bottle and wait for it to cool.
What can you expect from this homemade dog shampoo?
When the homemade dog shampoo you have prepared is cold, it will be ready to use. Being natural, it is likely that your dog does not develop any allergy or reactionbut anyway We recommend that you observe the reaction of your skin and hair After using it the first few times. Really, That should be done when you start using any new product, whether homemade or purchased.
Don't be scared of apple cider vinegar! It will not leave strong odors in your dog. In fact, We add it because it is an excellent conditioner. It will leave your dog's hair soft, nourished and also your dog's hair will be easy to untangle. One of the best tips if you want your dog's hair to shine.
You don't like rosemary? You can replace it with any other natural flavoring, such as lavender. First of all, do not use artificial perfumes or any product that contains alcohol. These natural ingredients, besides giving a good smell, serve as a repellent for fleas and other parasites.
Remember that, although this shampoo is smooth and free of toxic elements, you should always ensure that your dog does not enter the mucous membranes (eyes, inner ear, nose, mouth).
And that's it! Now to bathe. If you need help, you can check our post on how to bathe your dog or your puppy at home.
When making the following formulas to make shampoos suitable for allergic dogs, the first thing will be to prepare a basic sodium bicarbonate shampoo.
Baking soda is a very bactericidal and deodorant element, so it is often used to clean the inside of refrigerators. It is also used in toothpastes. However, for dogs it can become toxic if it is abused, or it does not clear up well after treatment. The formula is as follows:
- 250 gr of sodium bicarbonate. If we buy it in the supermarket it is cheaper than in the pharmacy.
- 1 liter of water. Emulsify both products very well and store in a bottle protected from light.
This solution will be mixed at the time with the vegetable product with selected antiallergic properties.
He oatmeal shampoo It is very soothing and easy to make. Follow the next steps:
- Spray 100 gr of whole grain oatmeal with a blender until it turns into flour, or directly acquire oatmeal.
- In a bowl mix the oatmeal with half a liter of bicarbonate base shampoo (previously shake the bottle or bottle where you kept the shampoo).
- Beat and emulsify oatmeal with the base shampoo.
- The oatmeal shampoo will be ready for the dog's bath.
Half a liter of oatmeal shampoo is more than enough to bathe a large dog. If the dog is small divide the amount. Throw away the excess amount.
During the summer the shampoo can be used at room temperature. In the winter you can warm the mixture before applying it.
After soaking the dog, apply oatmeal shampoo, rubbing the dermis well. Do not apply to eyes or genitals. Leave on for 4 or 5 minutes and rinse the shampoo very well so that no bicarbonate residues remain in the dog's epidermis. Dry the dog well.
Aloe Vera Shampoo
He aloe vera shampoo It is very cleansing and simple to do. Follow the instructions below:
- Mix in a whisk glass half a liter of basic baking soda shampoo with a teaspoon of aloe vera essential oil.
- Beat well until emulsifying the mixture.
- Follow the bathing method of the previous chapter, applying aloe vera shampoo instead of oatmeal shampoo.
Discard the leftover. Decrease proportionally the amount in small dogs.
Honey and vinegar shampoo
He honey and vinegar shampoo It is very nutritious and disinfectant for the skin. To prepare it follow the following guidelines:
- Pour into a bowl with half a liter of basic baking soda, a teaspoon of honey and a glass of apple vinegar wine.
- Beat and emulsify the mixture well.
- Apply in the same way as in the previous points.
It is necessary to clarify very well the dog after the bath, because the honey is sticky. This shampoo for long-haired dogs is not recommended.
Remember to divide the amount if the dog is small. The remaining mixture must be discarded.
The importance of rinsing and drying
He final rinse of the shampoos is from capital importance. There should be no bicarbonate residues in the dog's epidermis. Well, it could irritate the dog's skin if after thoroughly disinfecting it during the bath.
It is also very important to dry the dog well, except in the case of a Spanish or Portuguese spaniel, dogs that must dry on their own.
If you want to read more articles similar to Homemade shampoo for allergic dogsWe recommend that you enter our Skin Care section.