Blog about animal behavior. Psychology and animal psychiatry. Blog with unofficial translation and based on the experiences of Dr Pet, Cesar Millan and some of mine. Blog dedicated to those animals that accompany us every day without complaining, that endure everything and those we love so much. The voice of the voiceless. I don't mind knowing if an animal can reason. I only know that he is capable of suffering and that is why I consider him my neighbor. Albert schweitzer
Meet someone who owns a dog and was given or adopted a new puppy, the owner is happy and anxious to introduce you to the new animal that already lives in the house, plus a surprise or disappointment can occur in case the oldest pet feels jealous of the arrival of the new animal, he growls, barks, enters the middle, becomes aggressive in the presence of the new companion.
As we saw in the previous article, jealousy for the people presented by the dog is an unpleasant problem and ruin for both the owner and the puppy, this problem can also occur due to jealousy in relation to pet nettle.
In the previous text we saw that the problem is a lack of leadership, so the owner must demonstrate from a puppy who is the boss.
The puppy must be socialized with dogs, cats, and other animals, this can happen at home or in external environments such as parks, petshops streets, be careful with the presentation of the dogs because that should occur in the most pleasant way possible for the puppy , for example, choose a calm and calm dog that knows how to interact and not an agitated one that will jump and leave like a crazy person on top of your puppy, this period coincides with the time of vaccines, but the smell and contact even if distance help a lot in socialization, take your dog up to the park, plaza or petshop, the dog should feel confident and happy to be close to others sharing with its owner.
In any type of jealousy (of people or other pets) the beginning of the behavioral problem occurs due to the lack of rules in everyday situations and only becomes visible to the owner when he is at an advanced level, any type of jealousy Demonstrated must be corrected from the beginning.
The pet must associate that the approach of another will bring good things.
Some exercises that can help
- When he is stroking one dog and the other approaches, he caresses the jealous more so that he associates the arrival of the other with the gain and not with the loss of attention, the owner can stop petting the jealous when the other moves away.
- Give many snacks when the other dog approaches.
- Leadership exercises: throw the dog a snack and do not let him catch without his authorization, open the door of his house and do not let him leave without his authorization
- Remember to work with stimuli little by little, for example, if the dog becomes jealous with the approach of the other at a distance of one meter, work and decrease gradually.
- The owner can also work with reprimands, when the pet demonstrates jealousy aggressively, the scolding can be to ignore the dog, use a water bubble or blow a can with coins, the important thing is to make it clear to the dog that jealousy generates scolding and the interaction with other dogs of the owner generates reward.
- Give orders of the type sit down, lie down, stay with the two dogs to reward teamwork.
- Go for a walk with the two dogs together.
How to avoid jealousy between dogs
Having more than one dog at home can be an optimal idea if your puppy is alone or in need of more games and animation, but in many cases, having more than one dog can become a source of stress when one of them becomes jealous trying to control the resources and the approach of the other dog.
Common situation, you are stroking one of your dogs and when the other dog in the house approaches you think: now is the opportunity for him, a little for each one is the fairest thing, things do not work that way.
In the vision of the other dog that was receiving affection, the simple approach of another dog is associated with the loss of attention, something extremely valuable for him, so he can begin to harass the presence of the other animal. more with a very simple change of attitude it is possible to prevent that negative association cresce to the point of the dog that was receiving the affection to have to use the aggressiveness to move away the other, remember that you have two hands, then, when the other dog approaches increase the affection with the first one so that the association will become positive, but if one of the dogs was already using the aggressiveness to move away from the other, the help of a professional may be necessary to avoid accidents, in this case, it is very important to work safely and clear limits, taking care not to increase the affection at the time of the aggressiveness, which can be done by the butt shot, because the dog who was aggressive may think he was rewarded for manifesting grunts, barks or bites.
So how should we do? when the other dog approaches, increase the affections for the first and when it stops, interrupt them, so the dog will want the presence of other dogs to receive affections, because he perceives that when other dogs are close he receives more affection, associate the presence of the other dog with pleasant activities trying to feed them for a walk, give them snacks only when they are together, that positive association will reinforce good behavior and show that you are an optimal leader because it manages to meet the needs of both at the same time, for dogs that already They know how to understand orders, also work by giving orders to the two dogs, side by side and reward teamwork a lot.
In situations like this, aggressiveness should not be tolerated by the person who is caressing should be reprimanded correctly and safely with attention calls that can range from a simple NO to noise with cans with coins or with the help of a spray with water . The type of attention call varies with the type of dog and intensity of the fight.
If all were in peace, continue with the approach, gradually rewarding dogs when they are calm and controlled in the presence of each other.
Remember that to prevent these situations from happening in other cases it is important to socialize your dog very well with the largest number of animals, people and situations possible, teach basic obedience orders and always positively reinforce appropriate behaviors, so your puppy will always have optimal experiences and will become a quiet, sociable and very friendly animal
When jealousy occurs among our pets, what happens is that there are conflicts over territoriality.
The most common is that jealousy occurs when a new animal arrives at home, which can be traumatic for both the old and the new pet. We, as owners, what we want is for our pets to understand each other and live in peace and harmony, but achieving it can be complex and most likely requires time and patience.
Here are some simple recommendations to know and remedy jealousy among your pets.
Prevent jealousy among pets
1. Sterilization: If you have a male cat as a pet and you want to add another cat to your home, a good option to minimize your jealousy is sterilize it, since doing so reduces your territorial behavior and aggressive, apart from other benefits that we will not discuss in this article.
2. Training: it is essential to control pet jealousy a good training. If from puppies you accustom your animals to the presence of other breeds and other species, when they are adults, they will find it easier to assimilate the situation of living with other pets. Take your pet for a walk and allow him to play with other animals and contact with other humans. Keep in mind that jealousy in animals can also occur due to the presence of a new human at home. If you accustom your friend to these situations you will make him a sociable animal.
3. Sex: If possible, avoid direct competition between your pets. If you host a new animal in your family, be it a cat or a dog or a bird, that is of the opposite sex. A male dog usually feels threatened if you take another male dog home and generally, the same will happen with all species.
Decrease tension between pets
Once you are at home, you must also apply certain criteria to prevent animals from feeling jealous of each other towards you.
Introduce your pet to the newcomer home. A good formula is to say, for example, "Hi Roco, she is Tara." Then let them smell so that in this way there is a initial recognition. Above all, do not walk away and control the situation at all times. Do not force either of them to interact. If you decide not to do anything, leave them and try it after a while.
Avoid feeling nerves so as not to transmit them to your animals. Let them be examined but always at the beginning, under your supervision. As time goes by and you see that they relate better, you can gradually leave them more time alone.
If you want to avoid having pet jealousy prevent them from sharing their dishes. You must give each one a special area to feed as well as a separate dish. In this way you will reduce the possibility of fighting for food.
To control jealousy you should also take care to give the same to both pets. This implies the same attention, games, outings, food and love. Strengthen security of your animals and don't displace them.
Finally and if you have more doubts about it, do not hesitate to consult your veterinarian, a trainer or an ethologist, who can give you good recommendations to prevent or overcome this problem.
Pet jealousy is a tip for General Issues, and talks about General Issues.
Are dogs jealous?
It is not easy to define what jealousy is, however, we can understand as "jealousy" a set of emotions and feelings that appear when a social figure they consider important is threatened by a third party, which they perceive as a rival.
Jealousy is common in gregarious animals, such as humans or dogs, and has a important adaptive function. However, they are also complex emotions, which require the individual who experiences them to have high cognitive abilities that allow them to reason and compare with past experiences.
Thus, dogs can experience jealousy towards other individuals, but not towards inanimate objects. Even so, the use of this term is much discussed, because of the few studies that exist, and there are doubts about whether this behavior is comparable to that experienced by human beings.
However, it is essential to note that there are other behavior problems that can explain some behaviors that we would consider "jealousy in dogs", such as territoriality, resource protection, boredom or play. To understand this behavior a little better, in the next section we will explain the behavior of jealous dogs.
The behavior of jealous dogs
As we have already mentioned, there are few studies that talk about the behavior of jealous dogs, so it is so difficult to determine the exact behaviors and differences with respect to other common behavioral problems in dogs.
Still, some of the symptoms of jealous dogs They may be:
- Try to get the attention of the "valued social partner" when you feel ignored.
- Try to interrupt the interaction between the "valued social partner" and the possible "social rival".
- Be attentive when the "valued social partner" and the "social rival" are related.
- It can push, attack or show various negative calm signals.
Videos of jealous dogs
We can find many videos of jealous dogs on the net, however, we must point out that some tutors reinforce inappropriate or aggressive behaviors in dogs, probably due to ignorance, which increases these behaviors in dogs even more.
On the contrary, in this video of milperthusky channel we can appreciate how the tutor properly manage the jealousy of one of his dogs, providing attention and affection alike. Also, in this case, jealousy does not include alarming behaviors:
Situations that can trigger jealousy in dogs
Jealous dogs can be in the following situations:
- Jealous dog of a puppy or another dog: It occurs when several dogs live in the same home and the tutor continuously ignores one or pays more attention to another. We must differentiate jealousy from territoriality, which is shown only to unknown individuals.
- Jealous dogs for pregnancy: It is very common for women in state to change their habits and routine as the pregnancy progresses. In these cases, the dog may feel ignored and therefore try to capture the attention of the pregnant woman in various ways. It is important to prepare the dog for the arrival of the baby in a progressive way, never changing his habits suddenly and always relying on another person to help us make that transition.
- Jealous dog of a baby or a child: It is essential to present the dog and the baby correctly, sometimes, even with the help of a professional. However, if it has not been done well or if there has been a negative association, it is likely that this will not happen. It can appear if we scold the dog in the presence of the child, if we do not let him approach him and we have punished him, etc. We can avoid jealousy between children and babies through positive reinforcement, appropriate guidelines and the supervision of a professional.
- My partner's jealous dog: We can find on YouTube a multitude of funny videos jealous dogs of couples kissing. While we could talk about jealousy, in other cases we also talk about resource protection. The dog considers his guardian something of his property and acts to protect him. The jealous dogs of their owners can get to show very aggressive behaviors.
Now, what do we do with jealous dogs? In the next section we will explain what to do temporarily and how you can solve this problem effectively.
What to do with jealous dogs?
Jealous dogs, especially if they perform behaviors related to canine aggression, can become very dangerous, especially if they are directed towards a child or a baby.
Therefore, we will start by taking the relevant security measures, thus avoiding direct contact between the dog and the third person or "social rival". If we have positiveized the muzzle we can use it temporarily, but never exceeding 60 minutes. We will completely avoid the use of punishment, as this may further aggravate the picture. On the contrary, we will try to control the situation with basic orders of obedience, asking our dog a sitting, lying or still.
It will be essential to go to a veterinarian specialized in ethology or a qualified canine educator / trainer to rule out health problems that may be behavioral problems and receive an accurate diagnosis. Only in this way can we receive driving guidelines and start conducting sessions of behavior modification.
It is very likely that the professional will ask us to monitor our dog's interactions with other individuals, offer advice on how to handle this situation and propose an activity plan that will help us improve the relationship with our dog, through positive habits and routines. It may also be necessary to conduct work sessions, using positive reinforcement as the main tool, to improve the dog's behavior.
If you want to read more articles similar to Jealous dogs - Symptoms and what to do, we recommend that you enter our Behavior Problems section.
Jealousy in pets: causes
You cannot determine whether an animal will be jealous or not until a certain event occurs. In general, pets are accustomed to the presence of other beings, but sometimes they cannot suppress jealousy towards them.
Did you know for example that dogs of small breeds are usually territorial and possessive with their owners and objects? They consider any ‘intruder’ a threat. On the contrary, larger races tend to be more sociable and companions.
Of course, That does not mean that having a golden retriever or a boxer is reason enough for the animal not to feel jealous: The education they have been given also greatly influences. If the dog has been raised as the baby of the house and, suddenly, a "real" child appears, he is likely to feel displaced or abandoned.
The same can happen if the family adopts a new pet: the newcomer will become the culprit of the lack of attention or care. In that case, in addition, the competition arises to see who is the favorite or who deserves more pampering and affection.
Tips to avoid jealousy in pets
Animals cannot speak, but they can make themselves understood, so if your pet is jealous you will notice for their attitude changes. You will experience irritability, apathy, anxiety, sadness and possessive attitudes.
It is also likely to destroy your toys or bed, urinate in prohibited places and want to attack the alleged threat. Some tips that can help you so that your dog does not feel jealous for another being who now lives in the home are:
1. Spend time
It is true that if you had a baby recently it is a little difficult for you to have time to dedicate to your pet (or something else other than the child). However, you should try to take a few minutes to play with him or at least pamper him for a while.
For example, before going to bed, lie on the couch and allow it to sit on your lap or at your feet. It would be much better if you could throw a ball or wooden stick to play, but with the animal knowing that you care about him will be enough.
2. Introduce the new members
It is very important that you make the relevant presentations in the event that there is a new pet or a baby arrives at home. Let them meet and share moments together.
If jealousy appears because you have adopted a dog or cat, at first do everything possible so that everyone has their spaces and objects: two beds, two feeders, two similar toys, two straps, etc. There will be time for them to share their things, but at the beginning it is better to separate them to avoid problems.
3. Enforce your authority
Do not feel guilty for jealousy in pets: they are normal and have a solution. If you are not paying enough attention to your dog, he will perceive your weakness and ask for even more care.
At no time should you allow him to "do what he wants" because he's sad, on the contrary, the animal must continue to carry out your orders as the first day. In this way, you will realize that You are still the boss.
4. Avoid direct competition
If your dog is quite territorial it is not a good idea to bring another animal home, unless it is the same sex, because that will increase jealousy between them. You can take the opportunity to sterilize them both, and thus reduce the inconvenience.
Also, don't make any difference between them because, even if you don't believe it, they realize everything. Both are equal before your eyes and that should be noted: if you give one a toy, the other too, if you take one for a walk, the other must accompany you, if you play with one, the other can participate, etc.