Internal parasites They are more present in the life of domestic dogs than we think. And there are also many different parasites that can affect you.
Some they are produced by direct contact and others by indirect, but all translate into the same: a danger to your pet. Some even They can seriously endanger your life.
How to know if your pet has parasites? Usually, dogs infected with internal parasites lose weight inexplicably even if they continue to eat as usual, your stomach swells, have vomiting or diarrhea, sometimes with blood ... In addition, they can show symptoms of general discomfort and their physical appearance, especially their hair, loses brightness and quality.
Treatment of intestinal parasites
Really, the treatment against parasites will depend on the type of parasite that is, as well as the severity of each case. If you think your dog could have been infected with parasites, go to the vet! Some of them They are capable of completely destroying your dog's digestive system, or transmitting serious diseases.
The veterinarian will prescribe the most appropriate treatment for the particular case of your pet. Usually, the parasites are solved without much problem, only following the treatment for the necessary time. Note that Home remedies DO NOT work against these types of infections, can serve as a support to accelerate healing, but should never replace a medical treatment.
Without a doubt, the best way to "treat" parasites is to prevent them, and it is not very difficult! Many dogs manage to spend their entire lives without ever having internal parasites, Because their owners have taken care of them! To keep your dog free of parasites:
- Give them internal deworming treatments as often as necessary, without them you will be totally exposed to contagion, even if you leave home little or do not have much social contact. Normally these treatments are given orally every 3 months.
- Don't let him eat raw meat. If you feed your dog with raw meat following the BARF diet, freeze it and defrost it before giving it, so You will kill any bacteria it may have.
- In the case of vegetables, wash them very well before giving them.
- Do not let your dog eat things from the street or feces from other dogs. Does your dog eat the poops? Read our article on canine coprophagy and learn how to solve it!
In addition to your dog's health, yours is also at stake! TOSome internal parasites in dogs are spread to humans, which is what we call zoonosis. Don't let your dog catch parasites!
Cestodes (flat worms or tapeworms)
Echinococcus Granulosus it is the name of the parasite that produces the hydatid cysts. It is a tapeworm, the smallest of which can affect the dog. The eggs of this parasite are expelled through the feces of dogs. They contaminate the environment and can be accidentally ingested by people and other mammals. They give rise to the formation of the so-called "hydatid cyst" which is, in short, the larval stage of Tenia E. granulosus. People acquire the disease by direct contact with infected dogs or indirectly by the consumption of water, vegetables or objects contaminated with feces of parasitized dogs.
Nematodes (round worms)
Toxocara Canis and Toxocara Cati The adults of this parasite are large whitish worms that lodge in the small intestine of companion animals and cause diarrhea. They can produce various types of symptom: respiratory, decreased appetite, weakening of the hair, intermittent diarrhea and bloating.
Between the zoonosis (disease that is transmitted from animals to people) parasitic acquired by man, one of the most prevalent is the so-called "visceral larva migrans". This term is reserved for infections that man may suffer from accidental ingestion of larvae of this parasite. By ingesting the infectious forms (larval egg), a person can develop the syndrome, whose clinical manifestations and severity depend on the affected tissue or organ.
Immunity against parasites develops after suffering at least one infection. In this way, young animals, which have never been exposed to parasites, are easier targets to have them.
There are internal parasites that are protozoa or microscopic and unicellular organisms
That is why puppies suffer the most from parasite infestations and die from their cause. However, adult dogs are more resistant to the action of parasites and can reach immunize against other infestations of a parasite that they have already had.
External parasite control
Drug administration is the most common way to control internal parasites, but there are also other methods that help such as:
- Remove the excrement of our animals from public roads.
- Analyze the feces of the animal to detect the presence of parasites.
- Regularly deworming the dog, especially if stool tests are not carried out.
- It is advisable to feed the animal with specific products and avoid raw meat.
- Have good hygiene when living with an animal. For example, wash your hands often, especially before eating.
Internal parasites can cause different damages to the dog, depending on the type of parasite in question and its biological cycle. Among the most frequent damages we can find:
- Physical damage caused by the action of the parasite on its host. For example, destroy tej>