It is very necessary to know at all times the temperature of our dog, to be able to act quickly.
One of the best ways to know if our dog have fever or do not have a fever is paying attention to their behavior. The most common changes that can happen in your body are: hot dry nose, nervous character Y apathetic, watery eyes Y tremors in high temperatures.
Normally the A dog's usual temperature should range between 38 and 38.5 degrees. If it is higher, it may be due to infections or diseases that must be treated urgently.
If your dog has any of these symptoms, it is best to use a rectal thermometer To get us out of doubt. Another thermometer that works efficiently is the ear.
What to do if my dog has a fever?
The first thing you should do if your dog has a fever is go to the vet to determine the causes and treatments. There are also things you can do at home at home before visiting the veterinarian although if you see that the fever persists after two days, you should go to the veterinarian without fail.
Some things you can do at home:
- Cool your legs and ears
- Take a cold compress and put it on your belly
- Do not bathe it with cold water
- Prohibited medications for humans
- Do not apply ice.
Even so, It is best to take your dog to the vet in case you present any type of discomfort.
How to know if a dog has a fever
The normal basal temperature of dogs ranges from 38.5 and 39º approximately. In times of infection or other diseases, this temperature may rise: fever is the body's natural shield against aggressive agents. That is to say, it is the way the body has to protect itself against bacteria, viruses and other antibodies in order to fight them.
Symptoms of fever in a dog
If your dog has a fever, you should go to the veterinarian as soon as possible. But how do you know if a dog has a fever? These are The main symptoms of fever in a dog:
- The truffle (nose) is dry and hot to the touch.
- Teary and foggy eyes.
- Apathy, lack of appetite, many hours of sleep. Or quite the opposite, an unusual nervousness.
- If the temperature is too high, you may experience tremors.
If you observe these symptoms of fever in your dog and suspect that he may have it, It is necessary to take the temperature as soon as possible, either at home or at the veterinarian.
Cu> (Photo via: animalmascota)
As we say, It is essential that you go to the vet to diagnose your pet and prescribe the necessary treatment. But there are certain things you can do at home to make your dog feel better. In addition to giving the medications that the veterinarian indicates, you can carry out this fever treatment in dogs:
- Help you hydrate. In case of fever, it will dehydrate very easily and it is necessary to keep it. If you are reluctant and do not want to drink water, you can give it chicken broth without salt. The important thing is that it replenishes liquids.
- If your dog trembles a lot, cover him with a blanket and stay by his side to give him warmth and support. You will feel very comforted.
- If the fever does not go down, you can give him a bath with warm water, or pass a damp cloth over your face and belly.
- Watch the state of your nose: If you recover your normal temperature and natural humidity, it means that the fever is remitting.
- Do not doubt go back to the vet if it does not improve or even if it gets worse after a few days.
You have already learned how to know if a dog has a fever. If you follow all the instructions of your veterinarian and take great care of your pet at home, we are sure that he will recover very soon.
Knowing if a dog has a fever is essential to detect if our pet is really sick.
Everyone who has a dog at home He knows how much he loves each other, but they don't have the way to tell us with words that are bad or found, it will even cost us to know if they have a fever or not. Let's see then, a step guide in which we explain How to know if a dog has a fever.
Detect if a dog has a fever or it is not important because it can due toinfections or diseases We must deal urgently. You should know that a dog's normal temperature is between 38 and 38.5 degrees, so keep reading and check if your dog's temperature is higher or not than indicated, and with it Find out if your dog can be really bad.
Steps to know if a dog has a fever
One of the best ways to know if our dog has a fever or not Observe their behavior. It is important to consider any changes that may occur in your body. The most common are:
- Nose hot and dry
- Character nervous and apathetic
- Eyes watery
- Tremors With high temperatures.
If your dog has one or more of these symptoms, the best thing he can do is Use a rectal thermometer. This is not pleasant for the dog, but it is a way of knowing the animal's body temperature without any possibility of error.
Grease the tip of the thermometer with petroleum jelly and ask someone to keep your pet still. Remember that the most logical thing is that the animal moves when it feels the pressure in the rectum. Another very efficient thermometer is that of the ear.
Though the most advisable thing is to go to the veterinarian To determine the causes and define the care of your pet, there are some things you can do at home in the meantime.
However, it is important to emphasize that if after two days, Despite having used one or more of the remedies we are going to list, your dog still has a fever, You will have to resort to the veterinarian without delay.
These are some of the things you can do at home
- Refresh the legs and ears. Wet these areas of the body and place them in front of a fan to cool it. Do not stop measuring the temperature constantly, because when it reaches 39 degrees, you must remove the animal from the fan to avoid flu and cold, as well as temperature changes.
- Keep it hydrated. You have to give your pet plenty of water to drink and thus lower the fever. However, be careful not to give him too much as you could hurt him.
- Apply a cold compress to your stomach. You may try to reject it, but when it feels its effects, it will accept it.
- Do not wash it with cold water, since a change in body temperature can occur and this could harm the animal, instead of helping it.
- Do not give medication for humans or animals if they have not been prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Never use ice especially if you think that instead of fever, it is a heat stroke. It will be enough to use cold water.
How is the normal temperature of a dog?
If you do weekly checks to see if your dog has fleas or ticks, if you bathe it or if you play with it, you'll know: our dogs have the highest body temperature than us. If a human is around 37.5º, that of a dog is usually one more degree. This assessment, of course, is not valid for all dogs.
If your friend is already older his temperature will be a little different, also if he is a puppy. Different dogs, due to their constitution and their health, may have a little higher or lower. As what we want to know is if you have a fever just by touching it, it is best that you take those 38.5º reference but, above that data, Rate as true the one you know for living by his side.
What does it mean that my dog has a fever?
If your furry is abnormally hot, it means he is fighting a disease. Fever is a reaction in your body that tells us that your antibodies are active.. Having a fever means that your immune system works, but right now you are having a bad time.
Fever 39 is usually related to a disease that is not serious, being truly worrying if it exceeds 40 or 41. Whether you reach this temperature or if you spend more than one day with 39º it is urgent that Make your inquiry to one of our online veterinarians.
What is the best way to know if my dog has a fever?
Although you can tell if your friend has an abnormal temperature with the touch and through a current test, it is best to have a specific rectal thermometer for him or an infrared thermometer to apply at his ear. It is important that it is resistant and flexible to prevent it from breaking, so, Do not use the rigid mercury you have for yourself and your children, buy a special one.
If you do not have one at home and you think you may have a fever, the methods to confirm your diagnosis are as explained below.
How can I tell if my dog has a fever without a thermometer?
The temperature rise is detected in the blood vessels, so you have to examine the areas where they are most noticeable. Start with the ears and the footprints of their legs, also examine your tummy and inguinal area. In these areas, the temperature increase is best checked. Carefully rub them and see if it is actually hotter.
If you do not know its usual temperature because you have been together for a short time, other ways of knowing it is to check its eyelids and gums, if they are swollen or red, it is that your dog has a fever. Other ways to know if you are sick is to look at your nose, expelling mucus is usually related to illnesses that cause fever.
If as we say this is your first time looking at the temperature, Try to remember your body heat now that you are feverish so you can identify faster that you have a disease next time.
What do I have to do if my dog has a fever?
It depends. If you have detected that you have it by manual methods or by observation you can buy a thermometer for them to make sure. If it is low, that is, less than 39º, you can wait a day before visiting your veterinarian because she usually goes down alone, take care of her and give her a lot of love to speed up the process. If it exceeds this value, go to a specialist. Although if you ask us what to do, the best thing is that before the smallest symptom of fever, also if it is 39, you ask our veterinarians online.
We do not say it for being alarmists, but when you go to a specialist you can get more information about its usual temperature, what to do if it rises again, what thermometer to buy, what home remedies you can use and when they are effective. Besides, we don't know about you, but we we are not able to sleep if we know that our furry has a little fever, because it can be symptomatic of a serious illness.