The treatment of anemia in dogs basically focuses on act on the causes that cause itFor that reason, we can offer you food and care that improve your condition and overall health. Next we will detail the different types of homemade and natural treatments that we can offer a dog with anemia. Do not forget that these tips do not replace veterinary treatment.
Feeding a dog with anemia
The feeding plays a very important role in the dog that suffers anemia since they are usually observed protein, iron and vitamin deficiencies important. Except in cases of internal hemorrhagic anemic produced by an ulcer (in which case the dog will be treated with acid and antibiotic pumps) we can offer the following foods to give strength to the sick dog and help him recover some necessary nutrients:
Iron is essential to help in the treatment of the dog with anemia. It is estimated that dogs need to include 1 milligram of iron for every 12 grams of food. Quality foods are the most recommended because they allow the animal to properly absorb the nutritional contribution it needs. Some foods rich in iron are:
- Veal liver
- Beans or beans
The type C vitamins They help to properly absorb iron so it will also be useful to think of foods rich in it. Sun It is another factor that also helps in the absorption of this important vitamin. Some foods rich in vitamin C are:
Proteins arevery beneficial for the dog with anemia as they will help him gain strength and energy that allow him to overcome the disease more easily. Some protein foods that we can easily find at home are:
- Brussels sprouts
Type B Vitamins They are another nutritional supplement very useful in improving the health of a dog suffering from anemia. Many of the foods mentioned above already have this vitamin but we will offer you some more to enrich the diet of the dog with anemia:
- Pig kidneys
- Lamb brain
- Beef heart
- Rice flour
- Sweet potatoes
Example of homemade diet for a dog with anemia
This recipe is very simple and easy to do and take a little of each of the ingredients mentioned above. In addition, the quality of the products and the homemade process will help your dog to eat, one of the most common problems in anemia.
Get the following ingredients:
- 200 grams of rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 egg
- 200 grams of salmon
- 1 sweet potato
Follow this simple step by step:
- Prepare a saucepan with plenty of water on the heat and add a little olive oil.
- When the water is boiling, you should add the rice that takes about 20 minutes to cook.
- Cut the other ingredients into appropriate pieces for your dog's size. The most common is in small dice.
- When 10 minutes to finish cooking add the missing ingredients: pepper, egg, salmon and bonito.
- When the process is finished, simply remove the rice and the ingredients and let them stand until they cool a little.
- Crush the egg (with the shell included>
Tricks for a dog with anemia who does not want to eat
Observe how the health of our dog worsens is a terrible sensation and that is, although we prepare delicious and tasty recipes, on many occasions it does not seem to be enough for a sick dog. If this is your case, at ExpertAnimal we offer you some tricks that can help you:
- Try to encourage him to drink chicken broth (without salt or other condiments) instead of water. This will hydrate and provide plenty of protein.
- If your dog agrees to drink the chicken broth try to include rice and some vegetables rich in vitamins such as apple and cauliflower.
- If your dog has no problem eating fruit, try to offer him watermelon and melon bits very rich in water and vitamins. However try not to abuse them as they have a high sugar content.
- Although they are not especially digestible, some dogs perfectly accept the consumption of soft cheese without salt, which is an excellent protein intake.
The dog with anemia feels weak and sensitive typical of the lack of vitamins and iron, so we must take precautions during the walks trying not to expose to excessive heat, exercise or extremely long walks. We will try to drink fresh water or soup frequently to avoid dehydration during the day. That can cause an increase in the urge to urinate so it will be useful to make more walks during the day but of short duration.
Let's not forget that one of the most common causes of anemia is due to the appearance of external or intestinal parasites. Deworm our dog externally on a monthly basis and internally deworming on a quarterly basis will be good advice so that this does not happen again. The monitoring of the vaccination calendar and the veterinary visit every 6 months mandatory will be ways to prevent this disease from developing again.
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Feeding and care of a dog with anemia, we recommend that you enter our section of cardiovascular diseases.
You'll Love This Curly-Coated Kitty
The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has an easy-care coat that comes in a variety of colors and patterns.