Puppies are cute, sweet and curious animals. They are in a very important stage of their life in which they must learn to inhibit their bite to avoid harming us or other dogs. For that reason it will be crucial to start teach the puppy not to bite things, whether hands, furniture, feet or plants.
These exercises will also be very useful to teach our little one what should bite and what not, so it will be easier for us to avoid guiding the little one towards a desired behavior. Keep reading in ExpertAnimal to discover how to teach a puppy not to bite :
Why does the puppy bite all the time?
Dogs are born without teeth, it is at the stage that passes from the transition period to the period of socialization (around the month of life) when they begin to leave milk teeth. Later, after 4 months, these teeth will be replaced by the definitive denture or permanent
As with children, puppy dogs suffer pain and discomfort which relieve by biting objects, hands or everything they find. Therefore, it is common for us to observe that the puppy bites all the time.
If we add to this that the puppy has been separated from his mother too soon (before 8 weeks) we have an added problem: the puppy has not learned to inhibit the bite with his mother and siblings, so He doesn't know how to control his strength and it can hurt us, obviously unintentionally.
Socialization in bite management
If our puppy has been separated quickly, we must begin to socialize it once it starts on the vaccination calendar and the veterinarian confirms that he can go out on the street. Contact with other older dogs will be essential for you to learn how the game should be with them, which also includes false bites.
This process, so important for the puppy, will not only teach him to manage the bite with other dogs, it will also be useful for him to learn about the social behavior of his species.
Do not be afraid to relate your dog with others of greater size, the important thing is that you make sure, before the interaction, that it is a sociable and friendly dog and that in no case will it bite you, since that could cause a Puppy trauma very difficult to reverse in adulthood.
Is it possible to teach a puppy what not to bite?
Although puppies learn new behaviors and orders with some ease, the truth is that they are not always able to remember everything: it's normal for them to forget of certain details.
Precisely for this reason, in ExpertAnimal we want to highlight an old saying that says "Prevention is better than cure"Do not expect your puppy to remember that his toys can bite and the furniture does not: better avoid biting the furniture and congratulate him for nibbling his toys, this way, you will get a margin of error 0, a better association and a high percentage of I succeed in adulthood.
Finally, we want to highlight that punishment should never be used in puppy dogs. Except for a "Do not"When we observe something that is doing at that precise moment, scolding our dog can be counterproductive: punishment inhibits behavior, impairs learning, can generate stress and anxiety in the dog and worst of all, it can damage your bond. Avoid punishments, marking, prolonged quarrels and any other type of punishment: puppies should never be scolded.
Teach a puppy not to bite furniture and other things
As we have explained above, it is normal for the puppy to bite everything: it is exploring the world through its mouth and will not hesitate to try anything within its reach, such as furniture and plants, for example. Then we will explain step by step How to teach a puppy not to bite furniture, plants and other things:
- The first step will be to teach your dog to drop objects. In addition to helping you work this problem, this exercise is very useful to prevent you from eating something from the street as an adult or stealing toys from other dogs, which could become a cause for dispute or fight.
- Once the dog has understood the meaning of the words "loose"or"let", we will put them into practice every time we get caught in fraganti nibbling something you shouldn't, the idea is replace the "Do not" by the chosen word, so that you not only understand that you are doing something wrong, but you must release it.
- Avoid scolding your dog if it has bitten 30 minutes before, as it will not understand.
- At the same time that your dog learns to drop objects, it will be essential to start reinforce positive behaviors, such as nibbling on his toys. Scatter toys throughout the house that the puppy can nibble on and whenever you observe him doing it, congratulate him effusively, whether with dog treats, a "very good" or a caress.
Now that you know what guidelines you should follow when you are present, you just need work in your absence. In these cases, when the puppy bites all the time, it is best to bet on the installation of a puppy park, a very useful tool that is also recommended in the learning of the newspaper, that is, when we teach the dog to urinate at home because of the lack of vaccines.
If our puppy stays in the park whenever we leave home, it will be impossible for him to bite any furniture or any plant, so we will 100% avoid any accident and most importantly: the dog will not reinforce himself when he is alone.
Teach a puppy not to bite hands and feet
Lacking a mother to teach her to manage the strength of her bite, it will be essential to adopt that role and teach the puppy what should bite and how intensely do it. It is common for the puppy to bite hands and feet when is playing, but you can also do it in circumstances of nervousness or because of the pain of growing teeth.
- At the moment when your dog bites you hard you must make a loud shriek to learn to identify pain in humans. Then you will stop playing with him so that, in the long run, he associates the shriek of fraud with the end of the game.
- This exercise must be repeated many times so that the puppy correctly associates the shriek with the pain and with the subsequent end of the game, otherwise the puppy will not understand what is happening.
Once the puppy has learned to manage his bite we will avoid playing with him to bite, we will avoid overexciting him (since then he is likely to lose the self-control of the situation) and we will reward with a "very good" Quiet games and positive attitude with us and with other people.
At this point we will work as in the previous case: the key is to avoid situations that cause the dog to bite our hands and feet and on the contrary we will reinforce with various tools within our reach (words, caresses, sweets.) the attitudes that seem right to us, such as bite your toys. The most important thing will be to have patience and offer a lot of love to our puppy and it is that this type of attitude is not solved from one day to another, it requires constancy and positivity.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to teach a puppy not to bite?, we recommend that you enter our section of Basic Education.